Friday 24 January 2014

Guest Educator Sarah Groen {from New Zealand} with a Background Technique Tutorial!





Hi everyone!  Today we welcome one of our regular players, Sarah Groen, from Auckland {New Zealand}, 
to share with us a Graphic Gelato Background Tutorial.  Oooooh sounds exciting!!!


"Hi everyone :)   I am thrilled to have been invited as a Guest Educator
 at Scrap Around The World! Thank you so much for the opportunity.
I live in Auckland, New Zealand, with my hubby of 23 years & my 6 gorgeous kids. I am a stay at home mum & since I discovered scrapbooking I have been hopelessly addicted!  I am currently on the design team for the NZ scrapbook store Scottie Crafts, the on-line challenge blogs CSI, Stuck Sketches & 1,2,3 Challenge blog  & the Australian chipboard manufacturers 2 Crafty.  I have been published many times both in NZ & overseas & in 2009 I was chosen as an Elite Team member for Up2Scrap, New Zealand's premiere scrapbooking magazine.
I love participating in challenges as I find that they make me think outside the box & push me out of my comfort zone. My pages have an artsy, whimsical feel to them but I love to try out new techniques & my style changes according to my inspiration, most of which  I find online. {So many amazing artists out there!}"
 You can see more of my work at my blog:
The technique I'm going to show you was inspired by the amazing Leanne Pearce.
{http://thepaintbrushgoesspottie.blogspot.co.nz/}


1.  Using a compass to draw 2 sets of concentric circles onto a sheet of white cardstock.




2.  Draw several equally spaced radii through the circles with a pencil as shown above.
You will need a protractor for this {mark 90 & 45 degree angles}.




3.  Doodle arrows, triangles & doodles along your previously drawn lines.




4.  Colour in random sections of your circles, using gelatos 
{choosing colours that co-ordinate/complement the photo you plan to use}.




5.  Smudge the colours with your finger, to smooth/blend them together.




6.   Add more colour until you are happy with the result 
then add a few sprays of mist as shown above.




7.  Allow to dry completely before dripping a few blots of black ink randomly around your page. 
This will give depth &contrast to your background. 




8.  Finally build up your layers of patterned paper, stickers 
& embellishments, add your photo & you are DONE!

Thanks for checking out my tutorial.
 I hope that you have been inspired to give this technique a go yourself. 
It really is quite simple to do & can be adapted to suit almost any photo or theme.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I agree!  THANK YOU Sarah for sharing with us!
Now that I see all the steps it actually looks quite easy!!
I can't wait to try it out for myself soon & get those gelatos to work!!!

THANKS TO ALL WHO ENTERED OUR BLOG LOVIN' GIVEAWAY ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE.  
The WINNER will be announced over the weekend {on Facebook} so sign up by liking our page HERE
 if you haven't done so already.  We always have something exciting going on there - almost daily!
KEEP A LOOK OUT - you never know when we just might be having ANOTHER giveaway :)


You still have ONE FULL WEEK to enter our current challenge HERE .  We have loads of inspiration for you, so scroll back through January & check out our mid-month reveal & our Guest Design Team & Guest Designer inspiration too - the inspiration NEVER ENDS here!

If you love this blog as much as me {okay I guess I am just a little biased LOL} then PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT for Sarah, who put together this tutorial especially for your enjoyment & inspiration.  

Thanks for stopping by today!
{ and special thanks to Leonie Neal-Dawson for her assistance}





7 comments:

li-bee-ti said...

Great tutorial and fab result! I will definitely give it a try, as it looks easy and beautiful.
Thank you, Sarah, for this wonderful tutorial.
And a big thank you, SATW ladies, for such an inspiring site. I enjoy it very much.

Lizzy Hill said...

Totally, totally fabulous AND 'do-able' ..... Love those bright pops of colour & yup! You've made me want to get my gelatos out to have a play....TFS:):):)

Paula Calvanico said...

What a great tut :) Seeing it broken down makes it so much easier and less intimidating! Thanks for sharing it Sarah.

Helen, what a delightful challenge blog you've put together here. I've read back through a few posts, and what dedication and devotion to something you love. It's fantastic you have put together such a wonderful team of gals to help you run this ship :)

Looking forward to participating,

Paula

Eila Sandberg said...

This looks like a whole lot of fun!! Thanks a bunch for the inspiration Miss S! xx

Leonie said...

Thanks so much Sarah, great tutorial! :)

Di Garling said...

Great tutorial Sarah, thanks for sharing. Cheers Di

Tusia Lech said...

Such a great idea for creating an interesting background!! Thank you for sharing it with us!